Formally Stonewall Elementary School, had its beginning in
1924 as a two room school. It is now in its 70th year as an His campus.
Rooms were added at various times until the older building had nine
classrooms. The cafetorium was built in 1941.
A new wing consisting of thirteen classrooms was completed in 1954
and a new cafetorium was completed in 1961. Six classrooms were added in
1963. An annex with five classrooms and a multi-purpose room was used
as a bilingual learning center. In 1977, approximately $52, 600 in bond
issue money was used to repair the roof, renovate the restrooms, remodel
the offices, enlarge the clinic and textbook room, asphalt surfaces and
remove the old cafeteria. The 1985 bond issue provided for additional
classrooms, a library and airconditioning of all classrooms.
For many years, Stonewall was a traditional elementary school. In
1987, however, the campus became a Child Development Center serving
pre-kindergarten and kindergarten age students from eight feeder
schools. Stonewall also serves the five-year-olds from the Stonewall
Flanders attendance area and the Early Childhood Special Education
students districtwide. In the 1991-92 school year, Stonewall became a
Year Round Education School. Stonewall had an enrollment of 386 during
the 1993-94 school year. The Teddy Bears were the school mascot.
Nonetheless, Stonewall has come a long way and several other
renovations have occurred. Currently our enrollment is of 798 students
in 2011-2012 school year. The new mascot for Stonewall Flanders is the
To read more on Stonewall Flanders history click here.